All of us want to be mentally strong to excel in our lives, to think through in order to find solutions to our problems, to remain calm and confident when it requires us to face our life’s challenges and adversities. At times we lose faith in ourselves, and get depressed, stressed out and feel low. But all of that can be avoided when you are mentally strong and it’s not difficult to be mentally strong in real. Below are 15 things which work like magic when it comes to become a mentally strong person. Try them for yourself and see the magic.
- Move On: Forget the past and move on is the key to success. It’s no use of keep thinking about the past and mistakes happened in the past and feeling sorry about them. You should learn from your mistakes and improvise your thought and work to make it right next time. Mentally strong people don’t waste time feeling sorry for themselves or for their past, they move on with more spirit and learnings from their past.
- Keep Control: You should keep control on your anger, anxiety, fear, and greed. Mentally strong people don’t give away their power to control things or emotions.
- Embrace Change: We fear change, but as the old saying goes “Change is Hard at First, Messy in the Middle, and Gorgeous at the end” so you should not dread change, accept it and embrace it. Mentally strong people welcome changes and challenges and become successful.
- Stay Happy: Staying happy is the key to successful life. Mentally strong people don’t get entangled with their problems, they find a way to solve their problems with ease and stay happy. They don’t complain. They don’t waste their energy on things they can’t control.
- Be Kind: You should be kind, fair, and unafraid to speak up. You should not worry about pleasing other people, because no one can keep pleasing everyone. So just be kind and fair enough with people and stop trying to do unreasonable things to please everyone.
- Take Risks: People who don’t take risks never grow past their boundaries, there are wonderful opportunities out there which you should consider to take on. Mentally strong people don’t let the opportunities go waste and they weigh the risks and benefits before taking action and take calculated risks.
- Invest Your Energy in the Present: You can never change your past, but you can change your present and future, so you should not dwell on the past and think of putting in your energy in the present so that you can make your present better and future wonderful.
- Accept Full Responsibility for Your Past Behavior: Everyone make mistakes, and those who learn from their mistakes and bring in the required change to avoid those mistakes in future are the ones who become successful. Mentally strong people learn from their mistakes they don’t make the same mistake over and over.
- Celebrate Other’s Success: Everyone enjoys their own success and its human nature, but mentally strong people enjoy the success of other’s as well and they don’t resent that success, they keep inspiring others to succeed.
- Be Willing to Fail: There is no ready-made, one fit all solution to life. There is no silver bullet, no magic wand you can turn that fixes every problem, provides every answer, and guarantees success. The reality is that there’s no way you can be certain you have everything perfect, the only way you can succeed is by making the effort with the knowledge that failure is possible, if not unlikely. Ultimately, the secret to success is actually failure. Everyone fails, the difference is in how you respond to adversity and failure. To be successful, you have to pick yourself up off the ground, think about what happened, identify what you can do better, and use that knowledge to succeed the next time. It’s about holding yourself accountable, learning from the experience, and getting better. As Edison also said, “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realise how close they were to success when they gave up.” Mentally strong people don’t give up after failing. They see every failure as a chance to improve.
- Enjoy Your Time Alone: The world is a busy place and, unless you take a moment to step away from it once in a while, it’s easy to forget how nice it is to simply sit alone and enjoy your own company. Take a moment and sit quietly in some place or may be take a walk alone on an uncrowded road. Listen to everything that is not happening around you. You can learn a lot about yourself in the moments when you’re least occupied – the times when there is nothing to distract you from your thoughts and feelings you deny yourself during your busy days. By doing this you will find time to contemplate on your inner thoughts, you will get time to rearrange your life, and think of positive things you want to do or achieve and you will become mentally strong by talking to yourself and working on your own plans. Mentally strong people find time to be alone and think about their goals, spend time with themselves and their thoughts and they don’t fear being alone.
- Have Staying Power: Be patient, just work hard and honestly and wait for the results. Don’t get upset and remain patient, because great things take time. Mentally strong people remain always cool and calm and they don’t expect immediate results.
- Expend Your Mental Energy Wisely: “An empty mind is devil’s work shop”, but you should always think positively and should not use your mental energy to think of negative. Mentally strong people keep themselves and their mind free from negativity and don’t spend time on unproductive thoughts.
- Think Productively: All of us have thousands of thoughts hovering in our minds, some are productive and others are just not worth it. If you get entangled in negative thoughts you can’t do productive things, so keep all the negative thoughts off your mind and think productive and constructive. Mentally strong people replace negative thoughts with productive thoughts and eventually succeed in their lives.
- Reflect on Your Progress: It is important to measure your progress, because you can’t keep enjoying the same success all the time, you need to improve to do a little better every time, so keep monitoring your progress every day, evaluate your work, modify if something is not working and go to a new level of success. Mentally strong people take time to consider what they’ve achieved and where they are doing to achieve more success.
Also published on Medium.