Our life is sum of experiences. It is nothing but a blank canvas and we are the one who has the power to fill it the way we want to colour it. At times It could be sad, distressing, monotonous and very boring if you let it be. However, it could also be colourful, exciting and interesting if you make a little effort to make it so. And, that would happen only and only when you break out of the monotony and do something that would add some adventure to your everyday routine.
Here, then, are 10 tips to help you start improving your life:
- Be Grateful: A lot of people in the world go to sleep empty stomach most of the nights, they can’t even earn a square meal for themselves. Be grateful for what you have. When you start thanking god for what you have instead of worrying about what you don’t have, it changes your perspective for the better life.
- Start Your Day the Night Before: Planning helps you keep yourself organised and ready for the work. The most successful people end their workday by making a list of what they have to do the next day. This simple activity allows your subconscious to work on things while you sleep.
- Be Ready to Grow Up: Unlike kids we adults don’t keep trying. You need to have an attitude of learning and growing all the time. You should not lose heart if few things don’t go the way you wanted them to go. Always remember to take the high road then you’ll end up where you want to go.
- Drop the Attitude: Negative attitude is poisonous to any individual’s happiness. It deprives people of the ability to enjoy their lives or live to the fullest. There are many other ways, but everybody needs to begin somewhere. Of course, it is not possible to be positive all the time, and to keep away from negative attitude from absolutely every situation, but we can all at least try.
- Don’t Ignore Your Emotions: You should not ignore your emotions entirely, but keep in mind that feelings aren’t facts. Emotions of course need to be honoured—they don’t have to be justified—but just because you have a feeling doesn’t implies that you are right. So, don’t take your decisions based on emotions.
- Watch Out for Negative Thinking: Sometimes we get into negative feedback loops and don’t even know it, it just demotivates us. And sometimes it triggers the thoughts of being helpless and hopeless, in such situations you might just need to take a nap, do your favourite hobby or perhaps talk with someone who can help.
- Set Up and Stick to a Routine: Human beings are creatures of habit; and good habits, such as getting regular exercise, talking a walk after dinner, taking sufficient sleep at night, drinking plenty of water, make us feel better. Keeping up the good habits also helps us feel that we have some control over our lives. Just do it.
- Drop Your Resentments: Resentments take up too much psychic space to allow us to function properly. The resentments could be toward our parents, partners, or peers, or anything else for that matter. But, by choosing to drop them, you will make your life much lighter and easier. However, the hardest part is making the decision to let your resentments go. But, once you let them go, you will find your life really easy.
- Respect Yourself: Fin yourself, your inner self, who you are, what are your values, what are your philosophies, and what you stand for, and learn to honour yourself. Sometimes, we fake it, this can be a good thing, but never compromise your personal values and always strive to be your best self. This is going to keep your happy and true to yourself.
- Enjoy a Part of Every Day: We always feel sad when we see some sad things but we mostly fail to recognise the little bright moments that happen all the time in our lives. Try to see some good in every day of your life, and you will change your life.
The world is full of opportunities, but sometimes too much thinking can get in the way. Changing your life for the better is about picking a goal for yourself and taking one step at a time to get there. If you try to take shortcuts, you may actually end up making your journey longer and more difficult. Getting serious about making improvements is a great start, and taking action is the next significant step. Just follow these steps and you will make your life much better.
Also published on Medium.